The process outlined below takes about 10 minutes to get set up.
The necessary hardware and software programs are :
- C6 VPN Router
- GXWorks2 Software
The C6 Router can be configured using two different methods to remote program your Mitsubishi PLC. Configuration is possible using a local network connection or from an exported configuration data file via USB. Regardless of the method used, the required
1. Enter username and password and scan for the connected router. Once the username and password has been successfully entered the MAC IDs of the router Ethernet interfaces will populate in the “Routers found” window. Highlight the MAC ID and select “Configure”. If this is the first time configuring the router use the default user (admin) and password (admin). The default username and password along with the MAC IDs of each Ethernet interface is printed on the nameplate of the router.
2. Configure WAN Port. The WAN port will be used for internet access. An internet connection is required to set up a VPN connection to the remote PC running
3. Configure LAN Port. The LAN port should be assigned an IP address within the local machine network. It is possible to assign multiple IP addresses to the LAN port to reach devices on separate subnets. Once a VPN connection is established all devices on each subnet will be reachable
4. Domain Registration. Each router must be assigned a name and location within a licensed Domain. This step is only completed once.
5. Apply Settings and Reboot. Select the “Apply” option at the bottom of the configuration screen. Once the router reboots it will establish appear “Online” in the Domain device tree.
Setting up the VPN Connection to PLC
7. Open PLC project with GXWorks2 Software
8. Select Connection Destination
The connection settings must be configured to connect to the PLC. Connection settings are displayed and configured in the “Connection Destination” view in the navigation window. Select name of the connection under “Current Connection” to configure the connection settings.
9. Setup Connection
Select “Ethernet Board” in “PC side I/F”.
Next, select “PLC Module” to scan for the remote Mitsubishi PLC.
10. Scan for PLC
To scan for the FX3G
Finally, select “OK” in the Setup Connection window to save the connection settings.
9. Go Online with PLC
At this point you are now ready to upload, download, and monitor PLC programs on the remote Mitsubishi PLC using GXWorks2.
Now you know how to gain remote access to Mitsubishi PLCs using our KEB C6 Router. If you have further questions about this process or would like to contact us about testing and/or purchasing an industrial router, contact us using the form below. A KEB application engineer will be in contact with you shortly.
Interested in KEB’s automation technology? Contact a KEB engineer today to discuss your application.